bay area for movie lovers
~ ~ ~
It might be difficult to imagine with the current surface image of San Francisco, but it has a rich history of not just cinema technology, but also appearances on the silver screen and influence in early cinema.
I love exploring those kinds of connections in a city, and it’s never a problem finding recommendations for those sorts of things in places like Los Angeles or New York City, but I was bummed to struggle to find a comprehensive list on San Francisco — so I’ve started making one.
This is an ongoing project, and still needs some more work on providing background and context for the recommendations, but I’m going to keep it up as a potential resource for someone out there despite the unfinished nature.
I hope that someone out there can find joy in a different way of looking at this beautiful city and the rich history it offers.
More to explore
- ReelSF | San Francisco Movie Locations from Classic Films
- Hollywood’s San Francisco Roots: The enduring love of SF film
- Star Wars & S.F.’s Coronet in 1977: An oral history
- East Bay Tramp: Charlie Chaplin took over Niles and then the world
- How Cahrlie Chaplin and Silent Fims Flourished in the East Bay
- Nope: The Bay Area’s peculiar connection to Jordan Peele’s latest movie
- The Birth of a Market Street cinema district: celebrities, crack dens, and coda
- San Francisco’s LGBTQ Chinese American film pioneer broke all the rules
- My creepy trip to the Bay Area towns still living the shadow of Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds
- The Golden Gate and the Silver Screen
- The Very San Francisco story of the inventor of the movies killing his wife’s lover
- What Eadweard Muybridge’s 1878 panorama reveals about San Francisco
- Radical Light: Alternative film & video in the San Francisco Bay Area 1945-2000
- Welcome San Francisco Movie Makers (1960)
- When San Francisco kicked Hollywodd to the curb
- Celluloid nightmares: Spooky films set in San Francisco
- Why ‘Star Trek’ made San Francisco the center of the universe
- Notes on the Port of St. Francis
- Bay Area Television Archive
- FilmSF Resources | sf.gov
- Famous Films Set iin San Francisco